Mercari prohibits the listing or sale of any item that is set forth in the list of prohibited items. If a Seller lists a prohibited item, it will be deemed to be a violation of our Terms of Service regardless of whether the Seller acted intentionally or not. If Mercari determines that a listing is in violation or is otherwise inappropriate Mercari may, at its discretion, remove the listing and cancel any related transactions up to and including termination or suspension.
Mercari may not be used in connection with any product, service, transaction or activity that in general:
- Violates any law or government regulation, or promotes or facilitates such action by third parties;
- Is fraudulent, deceptive, unfair or predatory;
- Causes or threatens to damage Mercari’s reputation;
- Violates the terms of any bank, card or electronic funds transfer network;
- Results in or creates a significant risk of chargebacks, penalties, damages or other harm or liability
The list of Prohibited Items may be updated from time to time at Mercari’s discretion. Examples of items that fall under certain categories may also be expanded to provide better communication and context to our users.
Mercari may not be used to sell any of the following products or services:
- Anything illegal
- Drugs such as:
- Products, tools, or services specifically offered or intended to be used to create drugs
- Grow ingredients for drugs. For example, seeds for cannabis plants
- Prescription medicines or devices, pharmaceuticals, or behind the counter drugs
- Prescriptions medicines, pharmaceuticals and behind the counter drugs
- FDA-restricted items such as food, homemade food, food supplements, vitamins, diet products, muscle enhancers, home remedies, homemade cosmetics, and products that offer “miracle” cures
- Stolen goods:
- Note: If a purchased item is reported as stolen, a demand for return may be received from the victim or another party, and the item may be confiscated according to applicable regulations.
- Counterfeit goods or goods infringing on a third party's intellectual property rights, such as:
- Listings of non-brand, non-genuine, imitation, fake, or replica items
- Items in violation of a copyright, including handmade, or other items with copyrighted characters, brand logos, etc.
- Note: For brand-name products, serial numbers or receipts must be available when listing the item.
- Weapons, such as:
- Switchblades, butterfly knives, or knives with blades over 3"
- Note: Listings for knives with blades of 3" or under must include an image of the blade against a ruler for verification of length.
- Knives that are concealed or hidden within other objects, or are made of materials that cannot be detected with a metal detector are prohibited regardless of length.
- Explosives or military ordinance
- Firearm parts
- Tobacco products
- E-cigarettes, e-hookahs, or other vaporizing instruments that contain nicotine
- Vaporizing liquid with nicotine
- Items used for identity theft such as:
- Account credentials, user login information, and/or account access codes
- Items not in your possession, including:
- Advertisements or listings for objects being sought
- Items you do not currently have that are on order
- Coupons to purchase products
- Items that are a safety hazard
- Note: Flammable or combustible liquids and any other items that require special mailing or handling instructions must be sent using the “ship on your own” option.
- Products designed to circumvent copyright protection techniques or otherwise facilitate the unlicensed use of copyright materials (For example: "mod chips" to break the encryption on game computers to allow the use of unlicensed game copies).
- Age-restricted products or products that require a legal approval or licenses to be purchased or sold
- Gambling, including using this Service for raffles and “mystery purchases”
- Financial products and services such as:
- Bonds, securities, or insurance
- Banknotes or coins of any currency or denomination, or gold bullion
- Buying and selling gift cards or prepaid cards
- Live Animals
- Any item that contains a computer virus, malware, or spyware
- Digital items - any items where the order is fulfilled electronically or requires a download, such as:
- Ebooks, PDF files, or items for online games
- Humans, human body parts, organs, cells, blood, body fluids, or items that are soiled with human materials, such as previously-worn underwear.
- Explicit items:
- Sexually explicit items, such as sex toys and fetish items
- Offensive items (determined at our discretion)
Note: Any item presents unreasonable harm or risk may be removed at the discretion of the company.
Updated November 21, 2017
Established May 25, 2017