Here at Mercari, we have two goals: providing a fun marketplace for our buyers and sellers and promoting a safe environment for all interactions, whether they’re online or offline.
If your interaction with a buyer or seller turns sour, if they attempt to deceive users, or if they engage in Prohibited Conduct or list Prohibited Items -- anything shady! -- please report this user immediately, and we will take appropriate action. We want you to be safe and secure using Mercari, so if you are ever defrauded by a user or feel your personal safety is threatened, contact your local police immediately.
Mercari values the safety of you, the users, and your transactions. So please be sure to:
- Keep all communications and payments on the app -- never meet in person. This is for your personal safety as well as to protect your transaction.
- Use caution when transacting with users who aren’t verified in the app, make requests that are out of the ordinary or send messages unrelated to the transaction.
- Trust your gut and always check a seller’s profile page and Ratings.
Per our Terms of Service -- and to protect your money -- all payment transactions must be handled on the app.
- Never give out your personal financial information to make or accept a purchase.
- Never pay for an item listed on Mercari in whole or in part off the app.
- Test an item to make sure that it’s as described in the listing before rating your seller, especially if you’re purchasing electronics or a similar item.
- Certain phone carriers will be able to tell you at their stores if a phone has been reported stolen.
- Luxury brands often have trademark requirements posted online to verify authenticity.
Buy and sell safely and securely! Follow these tips to be safe using Mercari and other apps.
- Protect yourself by using a credit card instead of a debit card while shopping online. A credit card company is more likely to reimburse you for fraudulent charges.
- Use kick-butt passwords. It's time to stop using your “Party1999” password and adopt a phrase or an extremely uncrackable one like "5&10yYp%532pyQx#."
- Be a password ninja. Regularly change passwords and don’t use the same passwords for critical accounts. For more tips on how to create strong passwords, go to: passwordday.org
- Routinely check your various financial statements for questionable activity.
- If you allow your children to use your account, monitor their purchases and interactions with sellers.
- Never share your Mercari account and passwords with third parties.
For more information on personal safety online, check out this resource: