Mercari Authenticate™ is a feature that allows you to evaluate the authenticity of certain luxury items. We’ve partnered with an independent third-party that carefully inspects photos of wallets, shoes, eyewear, jewelry, watches, and handbags by checking the logo, tag, materials, and serial number.
Once confirmed, items are marked with a diamond badge on the Mercari website or app, so buyers can easily see that the item is authentic.
Mercari Authenticate for shoppers
When you see the diamond , know it’s been evaluated by Real Authentication. For categories that qualify for a certificate, you’ll receive a certificate of authentication with a QR code. Certificates are available for listings created after May 5, 2020. Jewelry and watches are not eligible for a certificate. After the transaction has been completed, if your item is eligible for a certificate, we’ll email you your certificate. You can also find it on your Order Status page in the app.
See Mercari’s Authenticate Terms and Conditions for details.
Mercari Authenticate for Sellers
When you list a handbag, wallet, jewelry, watch, glasses, or pair of shoes over $100, authentication is completely optional unless you list over the required Authentication dollar amount for that category and brand of item. The amounts may change based on the category of the item and will be communicated at the time of the listing. If you list a designer item above that price point , we will ask that you submit specific photos for authentication. For a full list of designers, click here.
Real Authentication, an independent third-party authentication team, will carefully inspect photos of your item by checking the logo, tag, materials, and serial number, in order to determine if it is authentic.
It’s just $5 to get your designer item authenticated. If your item qualifies for a certificate, it’s an extra $10. For more information on authentication charges and the certificate, click here. Once your listing is live, we’ll show some of these authentication photos in your listing to increase shoppers’ confidence.
Note: Items received as a gift with purchase will not be accepted for evaluation.
How it works
Authenticating your items is fast and easy with Mercari Authenticate.
Snap a few photos.
- For Bags and Wallets: During listing, you’ll be asked to take photos of the front, back, serial number, “Made in” tag, zipper pull engraving, and logo. We’ll send the photos to luxury reviewers at Real Authentication.
- For Shoes: During listing, you'll be asked to take photos of the front, side, sole, insole, serial or size tag, and made in tag.
- For eyewear: After you tap “List,” you’ll be asked to take photos of the front of the glasses, the “Made in” engraving, the arm engravings, serial number, screws, and lens engraving.
- For Jewelry: During listing, you’ll be asked to take photos of the front, back, logo, serial number (be sure the number is easy to read), hallmark (Ex: 14K, 18K, etc.) and “made in” tag.
- For Watches: During listing, you’ll be asked to take photos of the front, back, face, case engraving, serial number (be sure the number is easy to read), crown, and clasp.
- Receive a response in less than 48 hours. Real Authentication will carefully review your item and get back with a decision in 48 hours or less. Note: While items are pending review, they will not be live on the Mercari marketplace and will not appear in the search results.
- Get verified. Once your item is verified as authentic, we’ll give it an authentication badge and a boost in search.
What happens if...
- … Real Authentication needs more information about my wallet, shoes, eyewear, jewelry, watch, or bag?
- Sometimes the photos are blurry or Real Authentication needs more information. We’ll let you know what to include in the app.
- … my wallet, shoes, glasses, jewelry, watches, or bag, is verified as authentic?
- Mercari will automatically list your item, give it a boost in search, and an authentication badge.
- ...my item is rejected?
- We’ll automatically delete any listings that couldn’t be verified for authenticity.
- The first time you submit an item that is determined to be inauthentic, we’ll refund your $5 service charge and $10 digital certificate fee. After this, any items determined to be inauthentic will only qualify to have the $10 certificate fee refunded. Jewelry and watches are not eligible for a certificate.
- ...there is no verdict?
- This means Real Authentication was unable to make a determination on whether your wallet, shoes, or bag is authentic. Your item is not eligible to be listed on Mercari, the listing will not go live, and you will be refunded.
What brands are eligible* for authentication?
Please note: Eligibility may differ by category
- 3.1 Phillip Lim
- Alexander McQueen
- Alexander Wang
- Bottega Veneta
- Carrera Y Carrera
- Cesare Paciotti
- Charlotte Olympia
- Christian Dior
- Christian Louboutin
- David Yurman
- Diane Von Furstenberg
- Dolce & Gabbanna
- Dooney & Bourke
- Georg Jensen
- Giorgio Armani
- Giuseppe Zanotti
- Isabel Marant
- Jimmy Choo
- John Hardy
- Judith Leiber
- Judith Ripka
- Kate Spade
- Longchamp Paris
- Louis Vuitton
- Maison Margiela
- Manolo Blahnik
- Mansur Gavriel
- MARC JACOBS
- Max Mara
- Michael Kors
- MIU MIU
- Nancy Gonzalez
- Oscar de la Renta
- Proenza Schouler
- Rebecca Minkoff
- Roberto Coin
- Saint Laurent
- Sergio Rossi
- Simon G
- Stella McCartney
- Stuart Weitzman
- Tom Ford
- Tory Burch
- Ugg Australia
- Valentino Garavani
- Van Cleef & Arpels
- Yves Saint Laurent