Mercari provides an online marketplace for consumers. Refund requests are processed by Mercari in line with e-commerce requirements and in accordance with our Terms of Service (TOS).
The company established a return policy that addresses both parties of the transaction, the Buyer and the Seller. If Buyers have an issue with an item that they received, the Sellers, our agents, and/or our systems can decide if an item is eligible for a return and/or a refund. Buyer may receive a refund to the originating payment instrument, funds added to balance, or a Mercari “account” credit (account credit) depending on eligibility. Buyers must initiate a refund and return request. Buyers may have a number of issues with the item that they received. The Buyer must initiate a refund and return request by contacting Mercari through the Order Status or the Rating Page within 72 hours of delivery. Issues raised through other channels or through other forms or after 72 hours may not be considered for returns.
The Buyer may be eligible for a refund for the following reasons:
- Doesn’t match listing
- Possibly not authentic/ counterfeit
- Doesn't work
- Item is incomplete
- Wrong item
The Buyer must provide complete, accurate answers to specific questions about the received item and provide each specific photo requested, both of which may vary depending on the type of issue the Buyer is presenting. Other issues may be raised during this process that may/may not result in a return or refund.
Mercari evaluates the issue presented to determine if the item is as described or warrants a return or refund. In some cases, Mercari may share the Buyer’s Issue with the Seller to understand the Seller’s perspective in the issue evaluation process. Sellers may dispute the request and provide additional information. Mercari may also have the Buyer and the Seller discuss and attempt to resolve the issue independently. If the Buyer has a complaint about the item that falls outside of Mercari’s Refund Policy, the Seller may use discretion to accept a refund and item return due to complaints such as:
- Doesn't fit
- Doesn't match listing
- Changed my mind
The Buyer and/or Seller may be asked to provide the following additional information as part of the evaluation:
- Provide photos to show the entire item(s) received
- Highlight the problem area (when applicable)
- Provide photos of the packaging and full shipping label
- Serial number or IMEI number (when applicable)
- Other information as warranted
Refunds - Under Nominal Amount
Refunds under a nominal amount are issued as an account credit upon issue review by Mercari, expiring in 90 days, unless the Buyer requests to have the funds added to the account balance or processed back to the original form of payment. The item may not be required to be returned to the Seller. Requests for other payment forms must be made within 3 days of return approval and before credits are used.
Returns and Refunds - Over Nominal Amount
Refunds will be processed to the original form of payment no later than three (3) business days after confirmation from the Seller that the item was returned by the Buyer to the Seller.
- For approved returns, Mercari provides a free shipping label to the Buyer. The Buyer has three (3) calendar days to mail the item back or the Return can be nulled. In the event that the item is shipped but cannot be delivered to the Seller, the Buyer will be refunded 10 days after approval.
- Refunds are also issued to the cardholder if the bank or issuer provides adequate evidence that the purchase was made without the cardholder’s knowledge.
- Refunds will be processed no later than 10 days after a written refund request has been received and substantiated.
- If a refund request is received after the transaction has been processed outside of our Return Policy timeframe, a refund to the original form of payment may not be available. In that case, an account credit may be made.
- Returns are reviewed by the Seller. The Seller has 24 hours from receipt to inspect the item before the refund is issued to the Buyer.
- The Seller may file a “Return Condition Dispute” and provide evidence of the condition or other claims which will be investigated before a refund can be issued. In such cases, the item may not be eligible for a refund to the Buyer.
Post Rating Refunds
An exception may be made in the event that Buyer can prove that an item was
- Up to 30 days after delivery of the item to the Buyer, the payment has already been released to the Seller, so a refund to the original form of payment is not available and Mercari may refund the Buyer through an account credit. The item will not be returned. The credit is issued as an exception and will expire in 90 days.
Return Condition Disputes
When the Seller receives an item back from the Buyer, the Seller has 24 hours from the time of delivery to review the item and let Mercari know that it was different from how it was sent. Sellers must request help from the Order Status Page or Help Center and completely and accurately provide the information and photos requested. Mercari agents will review the request and may provide a partial or full credit to the Mercari account.
All Sales Final
Mercari does not accept Returns or issue a refund if the Buyer rated the order and released payment to the Seller or in the following circumstances:
- Returned request approved, but Buyer does not return the item back to the Seller after seven days from receiving.
- If the Buyer does not contact Mercari within the Return timeframe when Returns are accepted upon Seller’s approval.
- Prohibited, hazardous or illegal items are not eligible for a return
Any exceptions to the All Sales Final policy will result in an account credit that expires in 90 days.
Abuse of refunds and returns may, at Mercari’s discretion, result in account limitation(s) and/or legal action.