On Mercari, you can sell with confidence. Knowing the steps for successful selling will help you have the best experience possible. This article walks through sellers’ responsibilities and how our team can best support you.
Keeping you protected
Your security is our top priority.
Getting paidShip your item on time and as described and you’ll get paid. Learn more
Shipping ProtectionIf your item is damaged or lost in transit, you’re covered with up to $200 Shipping Protection for Mercari prepaid labels. Learn more
Issues with returned itemsIf you didn’t receive your item back after an approved return, or if you received your item in a different condition than you sent it, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Learn more
How returns work
Once an order has been placed on Mercari, it cannot be cancelled or returned without your consent unless:
- The item received was not as described
- The item received was in violation of Mercari’s Terms of Service
- The item did not receive a tracking scan from the shipping provider within 7 calendar days of the purchase
Mercari does not accept returns if the buyer rated the order and released payment to the seller, unless:
- The return request was approved, but the buyer did not return the item back to the seller after 7 calendar days from approval
- The buyer does not contact Mercari within the return timeframe
Need help with a return? Contact us.
To provide peace of mind for your shipments, we include up to $200 Shipping Protection is included with all Mercari prepaid labels as well as items picked up and delivered with Mercari Local. If your item is lost in transit, or if the buyer files a return for an item damaged in transit, Mercari’s Shipping Protection has you covered.
Instead of asking you to file a claim with the carrier, Mercari’s customer service team will automatically review your transaction for eligibility. The claims process can take up to 8 weeks. Once approved, your balance will be reimbursed in 5 business days.
To qualify for Mercari's Shipping Protection:
- The package must be scanned by the shipping provider within 3 business days of the sale
- Tracking information must be provided within 7 calendar days of the sale
- The seller cannot modify the shipping label
- The paid weight of the shipping label is equal or greater than the actual weight of the package
- The package does not exceed 45” (longest side) x 20” (second longest side)
- Damaged claims must be filed within 3 calendar days from the delivery date
- Lost claims can be filed after 7 calendar days from the last scan date while the transaction is still active
- The item is solely protected while in transit from the seller's location to the buyer's designated delivery address
- If the item is tracked by the carrier as delivered to the correct address, but the buyer files a claim that the item was not received, Mercari will investigate with the carrier.
- Transactions cancelled by Mercari or the buyer prior to shipment are not eligible for Mercari Shipping Protection
The following exclusions apply:
- If the item is damaged or lost because the seller didn’t properly package it (i.e., using improper, inadequate, or unsafe packaging materials)
- The item is prohibited, as defined by Mercari's Terms and Conditions or the carrier's guidelines
- Any claims filed after the filing period
- The shipping address or shipping label was changed
Mercari’s customer service team will determine whether an item qualifies for reimbursement.
Need help with shipping damage? Contact us.
Issues with returned items
Have you run into an issue with a returned item? We’re here for you.
If you received an item in a different condition than you shipped it in:
- Reach out within 24 hours of confirmed delivery with photo evidence that:
- The item was received in a different condition than the buyer received it
- The return was damaged in transit on the way back to you
Your claim may be denied if:
- You did not reach out with photographic evidence within 24 hours of confirmed delivery
- The item is determined to be in the same condition as the buyer received it
- We collect photos from buyers for every return
- Your item or user account does not meet the qualifications for seller protection detailed below
If you did not receive your item back or if you received a different item than you originally shipped, please reach out to the buyer. If you don’t hear back within 24 hours, contact us using the form below. We’re happy to help.
Please note that the buyer has 3 business days to send the item back to you once the return has been approved. If the tracking doesn’t indicate “In transit” or “Delivered” within a week, you’ll get paid.
Need help with a returned item? Contact us.
How to qualify
In order to be eligible for Mercari’s Seller Protection, we ask that you only list items permitted by Mercari’s Terms of Service, ship your items on time, and provide accurate descriptions and photos in your listings.
Here are some more ways to ensure you’re protected:
- The listing must be a legal item owned by the seller
- Selling of an item must not violate any local, state or federal regulations
- The item must not be on Mercari’s Prohibited Items list
- If required, the seller must transfer all rights to or remove any restrictions on the merchandise at the time of purchase
- The buyer should know what they’re getting. Add all of the item’s details to the listing and ensure that these are accurate and consistent throughout the listing’s description and photos. It’s important to include:
- Condition and any imperfections or damage
- Proof of authenticity
- Provide clear photos taken by you
- Please do not use stock photos
- If there are any imperfections, make sure to include a clear photo to avoid a return request
- If you’re listing more than one item, you must provide a clear image of each item
- Use a Mercari prepaid shipping label
- We recommend keeping your shipping receipt
- Items must be packed properly to ensure safe delivery. Please take a look at our Mercari Packing Guidelines
- Select the proper weight class and ensure that the package meets dimension requirements, where the longest side cannot exceed 45” (longest side) x 20” (second longest side)
- All claims must be filed through Mercari in order to be eligible for Shipping Protection
- The seller is responsible for any shipping overages
- Do not ship any hazardous materials using a Mercari prepaid label. If you are reusing a box, be sure to remove any hazardous material labels before you ship